Pages

1 Feb 2016

Front Cover Development


I started with the skyline feature from my previous design comprised of the dark rectangle shape, contrasting text and barcode. I then changed the background rectangle from stark black to a faded dark blue which is easier on the readers eye. I then changed the font of the text to HK Grotesk (the same as my contents page and double page spread to maintain a house style), this also helped fill the unpleasant white(or rather black)space in the design as the font is larger.

I then created a rectangle of the same blue colour and dragged this to the bottom of the page. This would house some of my previously made cover lines so that they don't obstruct the main image. I then created a contrasting red title box which reads "PLUS!" which goes above this box to outline that this is the section for bonus features. This is a common convention of magazines such as NME. I then brought in the "NEWCOMERS SPECIAL" poof from my previous designs and put this in the same box to conserve space for the main image which I wanted to be the focal point.


I then brought in the 'TRACK' masthead and slogan and put these at the top of the cover, this time to fill the width of the page so that the main photo can sit on an above layer without completely blocking it out. It also makes it more eye-catching for the reader. I also made it red so it will contrast against the black and white main photo I plan to have.

I then duplicated the "PLUS!" title box, changed the rectangle shape to the dark blue colour and changed the text to "INSIDE". This would top my featured artists section on the cover which is also in HK Grotesk to match the house style. I alternated the colours and boldness on the list to add visual interest and just so they stand out from each other. I then created and inserted the "ZACK RUSSELL" cover line in the same house style but with the 10 in an edgy brush style display font so that it stands out from the other text and catches the readers gaze. I then created and inserted the main cover line using the same house fonts and colours. I then finally created a circle shape in dark blue and used the text tool to fill it with "ISSUE 8" to tell the reader which issue this is. This is a common convention of magazines but I chose to emphasize it on the page through the use of a poof and contrasting colours as I believe the reader of a magazine such as mine would be a monthly subscriber and collector.


This is all I can do until I take and edit my main photo.