Pages

19 Jan 2016

Double Page Article Text

You might remember this guitar prodigy from his stint as nephew Jack Saphone in long running British musical sitcom ‘Halcyon Days’ but some may not know of his impressive pop-punk discography. Now 5 years on from the release of his debut album ‘Help’ with short-lived teen band ‘Glass Heart’, White is now back with a new band, ‘Dead Gorgeous’ after a disagreement with the band over alleged drug allegations left him in financial and social turmoil. He now wants to put the past behind him and focus on his greatest love- indie music.We caught up with Ged earlier this week when he popped into Track to promote his upcoming single ‘Thirst Place" available online and in stores from Monday.

CHILDHOOD
Well what’s to say, I had a fairly comfy upbringing, my mother was a lawyer and my father was a civil servant. "We didn’t have the most money, but we got by. "Still, that’s not important, I was like any other kid at that time. All I’ve ever wanted my whole life was to be a performer, I remember when I was 5 years old my mum bought me my first toy guitar. Flimsy little plywood thing with plastic strings, made an awful twanging noise, but I didn’t mind. As far as I was convinced I was Britain’s answer to Jimi Hendrix. I’d made up my mind, I was gonna be the greatest rock star who ever lived. But gradually I started to realise ‘oh, this is awful! I need a real guitar. I need to make real music.’ So at 10 I had my first lessons and of course, my first real guitar- a Fender Stratocaster. Needless to say I’m a bit better now, and being solo is really giving me a chance to develop my skills. I still play on that guitar sometimes actually, a lot of good memories there.

STYLE INSPIRATION
"I’d never really taken much care with my clothing choices." It wasn’t until about 3 years ago I really got into clothes. I left school at 17 and started copying a guy who I used to see on the bus into town every day; Nick, I think his name was. He was like, the coolest guy I’d ever seen. He wore real Italian leather jackets and vintage shirts with black skinny jeans, bandanas and baggy beanies. I think that’s very much in fashion now, it’s the London look. But for him to be dressed like that back then, he was before his time. He used to wear his hair in a bouffanted quiff that he had spiked up at the back. I’ve dressed like that ever since.

RELATIONSHIPS
I met the love of my life Ramona last year at a gig I was doing in Bornmouth for the Lemonaid Festival and I’ve never looked back. She was working as a waitress in the cocktail bar round the side of the venue. She brought me over my drink and right there and then I knew she was the one for me, her long dark hair flowing over her shoulders, that coy smile. We’re getting married next week and we’re in talks about doing an album together; that should be interesting.

THE FUTURE
"There are more important things to life than music."
Of course I’m going to carry on making music [laughs]. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to do, but there comes a point in an artist’s career where they need to get out and do someting a bit different- something new. I think the next logical step for me would be to get back into acting where it all started for me. I’ve been offered loads of parts ever since the Halcyon days but they’ve all been the same kind of roles from the same kinds of producers. I get typecast quite a lot, they’re always wanting me to be the ‘teen hearthrob’ or the ‘quirky friend’. I mean looks can only get you so far and don’t get me wrong I’ve enjoyed being that person for a while but just for once I’d like to play something a little different. Like a flawed hero- or even the villain. I haven’t had a chance to express that darker side of myself as much as I can in the music business. Personally I’ve always fancied, if they were to do a live action Aladdin, being Jafar. Actually [laughs] I hear they’re looking for a new Bond. Move over Danny! If all else fails I could probably take a break, you know, a lot of these major artists- not naming any names- have decided to just kick back a bit in terms of their music and I don’t think that’s too bad an idea. It gives you time to refresh, it can get a bit tiring performing the same songs day in day out. I need to get out and live my life so I have something to write about.